It is currently November 21st 2018 2:39 pm




 
Post Posted: June 15th 2011 2:24 pm
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, Canada
Andddd the press isn't doing this movie the favours it's going to need to be a success.


Post Posted: June 15th 2011 2:31 pm
 

Join: March 15th 2005 9:39 am
Posts: 934
Location: Nashville, TN
CoGro wrote:
Andddd the press isn't doing this movie the favours it's going to need to be a success.


I wish that decided success but the examples so far this summer are bad movies are successful (PotC4, Hangover 2) and good movies are so so (Super 8, X-Men).


Post Posted: June 15th 2011 4:38 pm
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, Canada
Obi-Wan Starkiller wrote:
I wish that decided success but the examples so far this summer are bad movies are successful (PotC4, Hangover 2) and good movies are so so (Super 8, X-Men).


Yes, but both of those bad movie examples are established brands whereas Super 8 was a strangely marketed starless film with limited widespread appeal; and X-men, also starless, was poorly marketed and is still recovering from two awful movies in a franchise that was never a box office monster to begin with.

Green Lantern doesn't have the mass appeal and hype usually required to overcome terrible pre-release press (i.e. the Hangover - which is still the most overrated comedy of all time). I could be wrong, but I'm guessing we see a sub-$60M opening for Green Lantern with >65% drop off in the second week.


Post Posted: June 16th 2011 8:01 am
 

Join: March 15th 2005 9:39 am
Posts: 934
Location: Nashville, TN
Oh absolutely, GL will tank fast. Too bad for Ryan Reynolds because from everything I'm hearing he is the one bright spot in the movie. That guy can't catch a break in superhero films.

Quote:
X-men, also starless, was poorly marketed and is still recovering from two awful movies in a franchise that was never a box office monster to begin with.


But if this is true then how does PotC perform so well? I think most would agree the 2nd and 3rd movie of that franchise was pretty horrible shit too. That hasn't stopped the latest horrible shit from making almost $1 billion worldwide.

I do agree X:FC was poorly marketed.


Post Posted: June 16th 2011 10:41 am
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, Canada
Obi-Wan Starkiller wrote:
Oh absolutely, GL will tank fast. Too bad for Ryan Reynolds because from everything I'm hearing he is the one bright spot in the movie. That guy can't catch a break in superhero films.


Reynolds is becoming a real hard luck actor. I thought Van Wilder would have established him as a centrepiece for raunch comedies so he could gradually build his credibility as a star, but he jumped right into more dramatic work and "semi-serious" romantic comedies without earning the full respect of audiences. Now it seems like he's banking his stardom on one failed project after another. I feel for the guy - he must have thought this one was the turning point.

Quote:
But if this is true then how does PotC perform so well? I think most would agree the 2nd and 3rd movie of that franchise was pretty horrible shit too. That hasn't stopped the latest horrible shit from making almost $1 billion worldwide.


Two words: Johnny Depp. North Americans love him, Europeans love him. No shock to see France (where he makes his home) one of the places where Pirates had its highest earnings. Two more words: Penelope Cruz. The film has really been a hit in Latin and Spanish speaking countries because of her involvement. And even though it's performed well internationally, it's by far the lowest grossing Pirates film domestically.


Post Posted: June 18th 2011 10:04 am
 
User avatar

Join: May 2nd 2005 7:26 am
Posts: 1999
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Saw it yesterday. I liked it. It's fun. It's funny. It's got decent CGI, though the constructs are a bit cartoony - even given that, I don't know where all the hate is coming from, other than a bunch of sheep are upset because they came out of their parents basement and it didn't EXACTLY match what happened in their comics books.

I think it's faithful to the spirit of GL, and I hope it gets a sequel.

Btw, if you haven't heard, stay into the credits for a better version of this:

[spoil]
[flash width=640 height=385]http://www.youtube.com/v/gSH4ODOakXo&fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1[/flash]
[/spoil]


Post Posted: June 20th 2011 12:22 pm
 

Join: March 15th 2005 9:39 am
Posts: 934
Location: Nashville, TN
I have to say, I'm so glad X-Men: First Class performed better opening weekend.


Post Posted: June 24th 2011 4:42 am
 
User avatar

Title: darthpsychotic@gmail.com
Join: July 3rd 1971 6:59 pm
Posts: 4219
Green Lantern & Super 8 are now playing in the MF Film forum.


Post Posted: June 26th 2011 2:23 pm
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, Canada
$89M two week haul with over 65% drop in the second week.


Post Posted: June 26th 2011 7:40 pm
 
User avatar

Join: May 2nd 2005 7:26 am
Posts: 1999
Location: Down the rabbit hole
= Worldwide: $118,711,000

It's yet to open in at least half the world so far, and there seems to be some positive momentum growing. Warner Pursuing Sequel


Post Posted: June 30th 2011 2:48 pm
 
User avatar

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Posts: 580
Location: Michigan
I agree with the point about Reynolds being a hard-luck actor. Swap him in for Cooper in The Hangover, and Reynolds = Cooper.

However, my sympathies run dry for him when I realize he had sole ownership of Scarlett Johansson's pussy for years.


Post Posted: June 30th 2011 6:34 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 13th 2008 11:08 am
Posts: 162
Location: FK5 907
Wait. This Scarlett Johansson,

Image

or this Scarlett Johansson?

Image


Post Posted: July 1st 2011 9:46 am
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Toronto, Canada
royalguard96 wrote:
I agree with the point about Reynolds being a hard-luck actor. Swap him in for Cooper in The Hangover, and Reynolds = Cooper.


I'm also a Bill Simmons fan :)


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 



Jump to:  
cron




millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©