It is currently August 21st 2018 4:09 pm




 
Post Posted: March 16th 2006 6:44 pm
 

Join: May 3rd 2004 8:37 am
Posts: 48
March 16 2005

source: mirror.co.uk

Star Wars is to be turned into a TV series after creator George Lucas agreed to complete his epic sci-fi fantasy. The 100 episodes will fill in the missing years between 2005 prequel Episode III Revenge of the Sith and original 1977 movie Episode IV Star Wars. It will spark a multi-million pound bidding war between the BBC and ITV.

Series producer Rick McCallum confirmed the TV version would go ahead. Speaking at the Empire Film Awards in London he said:



Rick McCallum: "We're very excited - we just got confirmation George Lucas has committed himself to writing the Star Wars TV series. I guess this is the news all fans have been waiting to hear."

The movies are among the most popular ever made and tell the story of the descent into evil of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and his redemption by son Luke.

The TV series will focus on the rise of Darth Vader's dark empire and will feature original actor Anthony Daniels, who played dithering droid C3P0.

None of the other cast, including Ewan McGregor in the prequels and Carrie Fisher in the first three movies, will be involved.

Rick McCallum: "It'll all be new because the originals will all be too old. But we will be using Anthony as C3P0 because there is such a thing as loyalty."


TALKBACK ON THE MF BOARDS


Post Posted: March 16th 2006 7:29 pm
 
User avatar

Title: darthpsychotic@gmail.com
Join: July 3rd 1971 6:59 pm
Posts: 4218
Thanks for the heads up Duster.

McCallum's track record isn't very good in terms of whats going to happen and what actually does happen. Since Bail has care of the droids one could assume Organa would have a cameo as well.

The Droids tie the whole saga together and it would be great to see C3PO and presumabley a digital R2 by his side. If Daniel's 3PO character is recurring character, hopefully the series won't become a live-action version of the 1980's Droids animation.


Post Posted: March 16th 2006 7:37 pm
 

Join: May 3rd 2004 8:37 am
Posts: 48
The text quotes Rick from the Empire Awards. To tell you the truth, I don't believe a word of the text. In an interview after the Award Ceremony with the Empire Magazine Rick told them about the writing team and how good they are and now George is going to do all of the writing?

The cast is too old... Jimmy Smits is too old to play an older version of Bail? Sure... And if the quote about Daniels is true, we would have heard it at other places, too.


In fact, it's Cpt. Antilles who owns the droids now. But either way, it should be very possible to have Characters like Bail or Antilles or Mon Mothma and of course the droids in it. Heck, even McDiarmid said, he wouldn't say no to appear once in a while as emperor.

But it's not just that. It's the thing about George writing the whole series. This article stinks ;)


Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Duster. Hope you don't mind me formatting your post since this forum is our temporary news forum for the frontpage TV area.


No, absolutely no problem :)


Post Posted: March 16th 2006 9:28 pm
 

Join: August 6th 2004 6:29 am
Posts: 857
Rick McCallum wrote:
...there is such a thing as loyalty."


Yes, we know that, Rick. It's the reason you still have a job.

Darth Duster wrote:
In an interview after the Award Ceremony with the Empire Magazine Rick told them about the writing team and how good they are and now George is going to do all of the writing?


He's probably only writing a series bible. He's made no secret of his dislike for writing or of his relief that the movie series is finally over. I doubt he'd be interested in getting bogged down in writing for television.


Post Posted: March 16th 2006 10:31 pm
 
User avatar

Join: February 22nd 2004 1:16 pm
Posts: 630
Ayatollah Krispies wrote:
He's probably only writing a series bible. He's made no secret of his dislike for writing or of his relief that the movie series is finally over. I doubt he'd be interested in getting bogged down in writing for television.


Yeah, I can't see GL hunking down and writing this. TV scripts are very particular and have their own structure and flow. It's a very different process from writing a movie, and if he really hates the writing stage as much as he says, there's no way he will be doing many, if any, episodes. The most I can see GL doing is maybe a two hour pilot and handing it off to his chosen showrunner from there. I think this all more of the usual prerelease Rick BS. Anyone else remember "OMG we will find out why Boba Fett hates the Skywalkers!!!"?

I bet GL is having fun right now with the 3D Clone Wars series (as has been reported elsewhere) and not thinking about the live action show at all. It's still pretty early.


Post Posted: March 17th 2006 12:12 am
 
User avatar

Join: March 22nd 2005 11:53 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: Deep Space Nine
By the sounds of this, the show is going to be like a sort of buffer between the two Trilogies in a way? Sounds cool to me.


Post Posted: March 18th 2006 2:42 am
 
Site Admin • Ternian@hotmail.com
User avatar

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Posts: 1456
It wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy Smits is a regular on this show...a TV actor making a Star Wars debut? I am sure GL had other things in mind when they cast him. I would love to see Ms OReilly return as Mon Mothma - she totally nailed that part. :)


Post Posted: March 18th 2006 4:58 am
 

Join: May 18th 2005 12:44 pm
Posts: 32
Ternian wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy Smits is a regular on this show...a TV actor making a Star Wars debut? I am sure GL had other things in mind when they cast him. I would love to see Ms OReilly return as Mon Mothma - she totally nailed that part. :)


I would really love having Jimmy Smits as a regular. Bail Organa is intregral to the formation of the Rebel Alliance, and I would feel a little ripped off if he were conspicuously absent.

Might there be a little brunette cast to play a young, pre-teen Leia? Whilst Luke is doomed to a boring existence, I always pictured Leia's childhood being much more exciting.


Post Posted: March 24th 2006 5:42 pm
 
User avatar

Join: April 1st 2004 3:56 pm
Posts: 248
Location: London, UK
The Daily Mirror isn't the most reliable of news sources.

Not saying it's all bollocks, just that you need to be careful what you read.


Post Posted: April 20th 2006 1:58 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 1st 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 428
Anybody could play Darth Vader, just wanted to toss that out there.

Not sure how I feel about GL writing for it - he needs to move onto other things, I think. I really want to see him do something else, ie. make a movie. The TV show would be a good chance for him to be executive producer, but not have to deal with the details.

Also, I agree with everyone who says Rick McCallum is good for no reliable information.


Post Posted: April 20th 2006 3:15 pm
 

Join: October 6th 2004 8:26 pm
Posts: 395
Lucas might actually do okay in a TV setting. Personally, I think he should write at least the pilot and a few episodes now and then after that. For old times sake, it might be fun for Kasdan to write a few episodes too. Hell, it'd be great if Kershner directed a few episodes, it's not like he's got anything better to do these days.


Post Posted: April 20th 2006 9:38 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 1st 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 428
thecolorsblend wrote:
Lucas might actually do okay in a TV setting. Personally, I think he should write at least the pilot and a few episodes now and then after that. For old times sake, it might be fun for Kasdan to write a few episodes too. Hell, it'd be great if Kershner directed a few episodes, it's not like he's got anything better to do these days.


Agree w/ all of the above. Kasdan is the man. :heavymetal:


Post Posted: April 20th 2006 10:26 pm
 
Bush Pilot
User avatar

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm
Posts: 1453
You know, I've often wondered why George didn't get Kasdan involved with the prequels. It's not like he doesn't have a decent track record... :roll:


Post Posted: April 21st 2006 8:41 am
 
User avatar

Join: December 1st 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 428
Topeka wrote:
You know, I've often wondered why George didn't get Kasdan involved with the prequels. It's not like he doesn't have a decent track record... :roll:


I think GL asked Kasdan for some help before TPM, but Kasdan told him they were his movies, and wanted GL to make them in his own way. It's too bad, as much as I love the PT, there's no doubt Kasdan could've only had a positive influence on them. Is there a single action/adventure/sci-fi/sci-fantasy, etc. movie that can top Raiders of the Lost Ark or Empire Strikes Back? Hell no. (Besides ROTS).


Post Posted: April 21st 2006 11:02 pm
 

Join: October 6th 2004 8:26 pm
Posts: 395
Topeka wrote:
You know, I've often wondered why George didn't get Kasdan involved with the prequels. It's not like he doesn't have a decent track record... :roll:

MannyOrtez wrote:
I think GL asked Kasdan for some help before TPM, but Kasdan told him they were his movies, and wanted GL to make them in his own way. It's too bad, as much as I love the PT, there's no doubt Kasdan could've only had a positive influence on them. Is there a single action/adventure/sci-fi/sci-fantasy, etc. movie that can top Raiders of the Lost Ark or Empire Strikes Back? Hell no. (Besides ROTS).


Is there a single horror/thriller movie that can suck more than Dreamcatcher? Hell no.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 



Jump to:  




millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©