Post Posted: July 16th 2016 2:57 pm

Join: December 3rd 2015 2:46 pm
Grand Admiral Thrawn

millenniumfalcon.com

It looks like the rumors are true.

Thrawn is coming to Star Wars: Rebels.

Post Posted: July 17th 2016 11:27 am

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Dave Filoni has my 100 percent complete trust to tell Star Wars stories. I wish he was the "next George" in that he has the final say-so over the overall direction of the entire franchise.

However...

This feels a bit like fan service to me. If Thrawn is to be introduced into the canon, I question if this is the proper era in which to do so. Too close to ANH, in my opinion. I feel like the 32-year gap between ROJ and TFA would work a lot better, like when the original EU introduced him back in 1991. I feel like a character of his depth and texture would have more room to thrive in the 6-7 era than in the tight time zone we're now operating in 3 years into Rebels.

Will also be interesting to see how the forthcoming Zahn novel ties into this. Despite my misgivings, I trust Filoni to do this right. He's more than earned the benefit of the doubt, for me anyway.

Post Posted: July 17th 2016 2:40 pm

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
royalguard96 wrote:
Dave Filoni has my 100 percent complete trust to tell Star Wars stories. I wish he was the "next George" in that he has the final say-so over the overall direction of the entire franchise.

However...

This feels a bit like fan service to me. If Thrawn is to be introduced into the canon, I question if this is the proper era in which to do so. Too close to ANH, in my opinion. I feel like the 32-year gap between ROJ and TFA would work a lot better, like when the original EU introduced him back in 1991. I feel like a character of his depth and texture would have more room to thrive in the 6-7 era than in the tight time zone we're now operating in 3 years into Rebels.

Will also be interesting to see how the forthcoming Zahn novel ties into this. Despite my misgivings, I trust Filoni to do this right. He's more than earned the benefit of the doubt, for me anyway.

Totally agree. His 'Star Wars' has a more pure center (IMO). He's been mentored by the great man himself, and it shows. Filoni is a smart chap and he's certainly a level above Abrams et al in terms of creative intelligence and understanding Star Wars... in my opinion of course.

Post Posted: July 17th 2016 4:29 pm

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Can't disagree. Filoni is the main man as far as Star Wars is concerned these days. He should have been given one of the ST films and should be the driving creative force behind Star Wars.

I'm very happy Thrawn is being brought into canon. I do agree that his operating so close to ANH limits his ability to make a serious impact on the fate of the galactic civil war. He might win a few battles and thwart the Rebels here and there but, assuming he's alive for it, the Empire's major defeats in the OT will have come under his watch. I might have introduced him in Rebels as an ambitious and effective tactician in the Imperial Navy that has Palpatine's trust but has not yet assumed full command. Then if they go on to produce a show taking place between 6 and 7, you could bring him back as "Grand Admiral."

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©