It is currently November 18th 2017 7:09 am




  Page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: August 18th 2016 8:18 pm
 

Join: May 7th 2005 6:53 am
Posts: 40
Location: UK
Hokusai wrote:
hahahahaha... youre right... its so much more believable... especially when I was 5! :)

Id say what Luke did was more fantastic than anything rey did... rey was a 6... Luke was a 9.5.


How is what Luke did more fantastic than what Rey did? Apart from switching off his targetting computer and using the Force to help him, any of the other X-Wing pilots could have blown up the Death Star. Red Leader almost did.



Post Posted: August 18th 2016 8:24 pm
 

Join: May 7th 2005 6:53 am
Posts: 40
Location: UK
The_Somnambulist wrote:
Rey's knowledge of Jedi mind tricks is analogous to her knowledge of Luke Skywalker. These are myths and old wives' tales passed around, even on planets farthest from. It's the same way that Jabba the Hutt or Watto know about Jedi mind tricks in ROTJ and TPM, respectively. No explanation required. It's called deduction and context.


Yet, if it's explained in Episode 8 that Luke Skywalker had wiped her mind prior to leaving her on Jakku and that it was actually a vague memory that came back to her of him previously teaching or at least demonstrating the Jedi mind-trick to her, then what you just said is totally the wrong explanation.


Post Posted: August 18th 2016 8:39 pm
 

Join: November 16th 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 260
Im shocked they let him anywhere near an X-wing...


Post Posted: August 18th 2016 8:52 pm
 

Join: May 7th 2005 6:53 am
Posts: 40
Location: UK
Hokusai wrote:
Im shocked they let him anywhere near an X-wing...


Why? They needed as many pilots that they could get, plus Biggs vouched for Luke and told Red Leader that he was "the best push (or bush?) pilot in the Outer Rim territories".


Post Posted: August 19th 2016 6:48 am
 
User avatar

Join: April 3rd 2011 5:29 am
Posts: 58
Location: Andorra
Corellianrogue wrote:
Hokusai wrote:
Rey was nothing.


No, a 19 year old T-17 Skyhopper pilot, who already essentially had practice shooting womp rats of similar size to the Death Star's exhaust port, destroyed the Death Star while piloting an X-Wing as part of a team of pilots after being instructed how by General Dodonna using the Death Star plans. He was also helped by Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon, who got Darth Vader and his wingmen off Luke's back, along with (the voice of the Force ghost of) Obi Wan Kenobi who helped Luke focus on using the Force instead of the targetting computer. Obi Wan had already told Luke about the Force, demonstrated it and helped him train a bit before he blew up the Death Star, unlike Rey just using the Jedi mind-trick out of the blue with no explanation of how she even knew about it.

I must admit, most if not all the stuff Rey did can be explained away though, but only if they do explain those things in Episode 8 and/or 9 rather than J.J. Abrams or Kathleen Kennedy etc just explaining it themselves in an interview or something like that just to make excuses. For example Rey could explain her piloting skills (beyond her subconcious Force-enhanced talent) and knowledge of the Millennium Falcon's workings by saying that she had previously worked on and test-flown various ships for Unkar Plutt inlcuding possibly the Millennium Falcon itself when he first got it or maybe another YT-1300 or similar Corellian ship.


Edit: It's also established fairly on in A New Hope that Luke is the son of a Jedi, so not just some random farmboy. I know Rey is pretty much guaranteed to be Luke's daughter, especially judging by that artwork leak, but it hasn't actually been confirmed yet and obviously wasn't in The Force Awakens.


In one of the (canon) books it explains that she taught herself to fly online. Well, using simulators. She had even built her own ship from scavenged parts but it was stolen. So her piloting skills are sorta explained. And I have to compliment you all on your dismissal of Mary Sue as a misogynist concept. Why can't a female action hero be just as perfect as a man? Indeed! But isn't having a perfect hero kinda BS too? The story is so much more interesting when the hero has to struggle, learn, grow and get help from allies. So I agree with the gentleman from Correlia that Luke was no Marty Stu. He had training and experience and help - and he made mistakes along the way.

Then again, what did Rey really do in TFA? 1. Steal a spaceship. 2. Escape from jail. 3. Deliver a light saber to Luke.
Oh, and fight a guy who already had been shot, shredded by a light saber and did not even really intend to kill her.
Remind me, why is she a hero again?


Post Posted: August 20th 2016 12:02 pm
 

Join: September 20th 2004 6:33 pm
Posts: 371
Location: Southern California
SI wrote:
I'd be lying if I said the absence of an opening scroll doesn't bother me.

For Christ sake it's like having 3PO without R2, Jabba without Salacious Crumb, Han without Chewie...you get the picture


No need for an opening scroll. And I suspect we'll get a C-3PO/R2-D2 cameo when Bail Organa shows up. That's my guess.


Post Posted: August 22nd 2016 5:30 pm
 
Site Admin
User avatar

Join: May 25th 1977 7:00 am
Posts: 1581
Longtime_Sunshine wrote:
SI wrote:
I'd be lying if I said the absence of an opening scroll doesn't bother me.

For Christ sake it's like having 3PO without R2, Jabba without Salacious Crumb, Han without Chewie...you get the picture


No need for an opening scroll. And I suspect we'll get a C-3PO/R2-D2 cameo when Bail Organa shows up. That's my guess.


Well it's something that I hope LFL reconsiders. It won't make or break the movie, but I really want to see the inclusion of an opening scroll.


Post Posted: August 22nd 2016 8:08 pm
 
User avatar

Join: November 11th 2014 7:51 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Tantive IV
Captain Walker wrote:
The only weird part will be not seeing a lightsaber duel... and possibly no opening crawl.

I am thinking we will see Vader use his saber to slice up some Rebels. That would still be cool. As for no opening crawl, I woul like to see them use what they showed at Celebration Europe! That was really cool!


Post Posted: August 23rd 2016 10:23 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 3rd 2015 2:46 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Tomorrow-Morrow Land
SithWitch wrote:
But seriously, didn't it seem like Rey was just too perfect at everything? Was it the force? Hmm. Nah. "That's not how the force works" to quote the dearly departed. Her lack of flaws is a valid criticism of her character, at this point. So it would be nice if our heroine in Rogue One struggles a bit more, makes some mistakes and grows through experience. I believe that was Cap Walker's concern.


Exactly. :)


Post Posted: August 23rd 2016 10:41 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 3rd 2015 2:46 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Tomorrow-Morrow Land
Corellianrogue wrote:
Hokusai wrote:
Didnt a 16ish year old kid... with a few hours of flight time in an xwing... destroy the biggest superweapon of the age... without a targeting computer? After infiltrating said weapon and successfully escaping while watching his foster parents get burnt to a crisp and his new found mentor die... within a few days?

Rey was nothing.


No, a 19 year old T-17 Skyhopper pilot, who already essentially had practice shooting womp rats of similar size to the Death Star's exhaust port, destroyed the Death Star while piloting an X-Wing as part of a team of pilots after being instructed how by General Dodonna using the Death Star plans. He was also helped by Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon, who got Darth Vader and his wingmen off Luke's back, along with (the voice of the Force ghost of) Obi Wan Kenobi who helped Luke focus on using the Force instead of the targetting computer. Obi Wan had already told Luke about the Force, demonstrated it and helped him train a bit before he blew up the Death Star, unlike Rey just using the Jedi mind-trick out of the blue with no explanation of how she even knew about it.

I must admit, most if not all the stuff Rey did can be explained away though, but only if they do explain those things in Episode 8 and/or 9 rather than J.J. Abrams or Kathleen Kennedy etc just explaining it themselves in an interview or something like that just to make excuses. For example Rey could explain her piloting skills (beyond her subconcious Force-enhanced talent) and knowledge of the Millennium Falcon's workings by saying that she had previously worked on and test-flown various ships for Unkar Plutt inlcuding possibly the Millennium Falcon itself when he first got it or maybe another YT-1300 or similar Corellian ship.

Edit: It's also established fairly on in A New Hope that Luke is the son of a Jedi, so not just some random farmboy. I know Rey is pretty much guaranteed to be Luke's daughter, especially judging by that artwork leak, but it hasn't actually been confirmed yet and obviously wasn't in The Force Awakens.


Rey was beyond ridiculous.

First, she is kicking the asses of Plutt's henchmen in hand-to-hand combat. Who taught her how to fight?

By comparison, Luke is almost killed by a Tusken and two toughs in the cantina.

Second, she is flying the Millennium Falcon like she's Han Solo. She is taking on and beating TIE pilots with years of experience and extensive training.

At least we are told Luke is a very good pilot early on in A New Hope.

Third, she is analyzing every problem with the Millennium Falcon and quickly fixing the ship. How did she learn that? Who taught her such skills?

And don't tell me this information about her is conveyed in some book or comic either. That is pathetic.

The worst part is that she goes through no personal growth. She touches a lightsaber hilt and she suddenly "awakens" like some sort of sleeper agent.

In other words, she didn't grow up or face the emotional trials that mature her. She was "activated." Her triumph was bestowed by "destiny" and triggered by external events rather than any choices that she makes.

Robbing a protagonist like this is one of the worst mistakes a story can make. It is just bad writing.

Luke Skywalker bulls-eyed the exhaust port not because of superior aiming skills but because he overcame his fear of the unfamiliar and put his faith in the Force over technology. He grows throughout A New Hope.

Rey does no such thing in The Force Awakens. She just is.

It is a big difference. In fact, it couldn't be more different. The polar opposite.

Anyone who doesn't get this fact needs to spend more of their time watching the Transformers movies.

Leave Star Wars to the rest of us.


Post Posted: August 24th 2016 9:28 am
 

Join: November 16th 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 260
I dont disagree with much of that... In the grand scheme of things, we are about to get a movie that shows how difficult it was for the rebellion to figure out that there was a hole in the Death Star... I still think Luke put a much bigger dent as a whole into a better established empire than Rey did.


Post Posted: August 29th 2016 9:50 pm
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2502
Location: Toronto, Canada
I'd be shocked if Vader didn't kill Krennic.

I think we'll get a classic "you have failed me..." kind of scene here. Too perfect to pass up.


Post Posted: August 31st 2016 8:44 pm
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1072
That would be a good scene. But, the rebels might off Krennic before Vader gets a chance at him.

Speaking of the dark lord of the Sith: Oh, no! The anachronistic ROTS/ESB/ROTJ suit wins-out again:

Image

Why is it so damn hard to put Lord Vader in his original costume?! You know; the one he wears during ANH (the movie that inspired Rogue One and the episode that takes place a hot minute after Rogue One ends)?! Ugh.


Post Posted: September 5th 2016 3:01 pm
 

Join: January 12th 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 61
You mean like this Rogue One Vader figure?

ImageYou mean like this Rogue One Vader figure?
http://makingstarwars.net/wp-content/up ... age-1.jpeg


Post Posted: September 6th 2016 7:58 pm
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1072
Yes! :chewbacca:


Post Posted: September 9th 2016 1:47 am
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 110
I was so dissapointed by The Force Awakens that I'm trying to curb any enthusiasm for Rogue One. I thought the new trailer looked great, I was impressed by the cast at Celebration... but TFA set the bar so low, for me, that I'm just hoping R1 doesn't bring out the same level of displeasure in a Star Wars film.


Post Posted: September 9th 2016 2:04 am
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 110
Captain Walker wrote:
Corellianrogue wrote:
Hokusai wrote:
Didnt a 16ish year old kid... with a few hours of flight time in an xwing... destroy the biggest superweapon of the age... without a targeting computer? After infiltrating said weapon and successfully escaping while watching his foster parents get burnt to a crisp and his new found mentor die... within a few days?

Rey was nothing.


No, a 19 year old T-17 Skyhopper pilot, who already essentially had practice shooting womp rats of similar size to the Death Star's exhaust port, destroyed the Death Star while piloting an X-Wing as part of a team of pilots after being instructed how by General Dodonna using the Death Star plans. He was also helped by Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon, who got Darth Vader and his wingmen off Luke's back, along with (the voice of the Force ghost of) Obi Wan Kenobi who helped Luke focus on using the Force instead of the targetting computer. Obi Wan had already told Luke about the Force, demonstrated it and helped him train a bit before he blew up the Death Star, unlike Rey just using the Jedi mind-trick out of the blue with no explanation of how she even knew about it.

I must admit, most if not all the stuff Rey did can be explained away though, but only if they do explain those things in Episode 8 and/or 9 rather than J.J. Abrams or Kathleen Kennedy etc just explaining it themselves in an interview or something like that just to make excuses. For example Rey could explain her piloting skills (beyond her subconcious Force-enhanced talent) and knowledge of the Millennium Falcon's workings by saying that she had previously worked on and test-flown various ships for Unkar Plutt inlcuding possibly the Millennium Falcon itself when he first got it or maybe another YT-1300 or similar Corellian ship.

Edit: It's also established fairly on in A New Hope that Luke is the son of a Jedi, so not just some random farmboy. I know Rey is pretty much guaranteed to be Luke's daughter, especially judging by that artwork leak, but it hasn't actually been confirmed yet and obviously wasn't in The Force Awakens.


Rey was beyond ridiculous.

First, she is kicking the asses of Plutt's henchmen in hand-to-hand combat. Who taught her how to fight?

By comparison, Luke is almost killed by a Tusken and two toughs in the cantina.

Second, she is flying the Millennium Falcon like she's Han Solo. She is taking on and beating TIE pilots with years of experience and extensive training.

At least we are told Luke is a very good pilot early on in A New Hope.

Third, she is analyzing every problem with the Millennium Falcon and quickly fixing the ship. How did she learn that? Who taught her such skills?

And don't tell me this information about her is conveyed in some book or comic either. That is pathetic.

The worst part is that she goes through no personal growth. She touches a lightsaber hilt and she suddenly "awakens" like some sort of sleeper agent.

In other words, she didn't grow up or face the emotional trials that mature her. She was "activated." Her triumph was bestowed by "destiny" and triggered by external events rather than any choices that she makes.

Robbing a protagonist like this is one of the worst mistakes a story can make. It is just bad writing.

Luke Skywalker bulls-eyed the exhaust port not because of superior aiming skills but because he overcame his fear of the unfamiliar and put his faith in the Force over technology. He grows throughout A New Hope.

Rey does no such thing in The Force Awakens. She just is.

It is a big difference. In fact, it couldn't be more different. The polar opposite.

Anyone who doesn't get this fact needs to spend more of their time watching the Transformers movies.

Leave Star Wars to the rest of us.

I agree with all of that. The thing is, I'm perfectly fine with Rey turning out to be an über force user/Jedi... and I'm sure we'll find out in VIII that it's all connected to her heritage. However, Abrams failing (IMO) is that he doesn't let the audience in on this during TFA. The result is that it robs the film of any real drama and character development. If, for example, one compares how Abrams portrays Rey in TFA to how Jason Bourne is presented in The Bourne Identity... or even Neo in The Matrix, one can see that it's entirely possible to have characters doing impossible things, whilst maintaining a sense of drama/peril and character growth. This is primarily because, in part, the audience are allowed in on the mystery i.e this person has power/skill and we're going to spend the next 2 hours following their self-realisation. Whereas Abrams presents Rey as a character who can do everything whilst she never questions how she came by that super skill. That's the difference between a good script and one cobbled together on the back of a cigarette packet...


Post Posted: September 9th 2016 8:44 am
 

Join: November 16th 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 260
Well put. I would say that the self realization you speak of doesn't seem prevelent in any Star Wars movie. I don't remember Anakin, Luke or Rey having those Neo or Bourne moments. Obviously Anakin knew what Jedi were, so it wasn't a huge shock. Luke knew his dad was involved with Jedi. Rey thinks they are a myth so her reaction and growth should shock her a bit. She seems pretty shocked when the sabre ends up in her hand.

I do understand where you're coming from. I recently rewatched TFA and thought it held up pretty well... yet I am watching with my 6 yr old. So I'm seeing it through a child's eyes.


Post Posted: September 9th 2016 12:38 pm
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 110
Hokusai wrote:
Well put. I would say that the self realization you speak of doesn't seem prevelent in any Star Wars movie. I don't remember Anakin, Luke or Rey having those Neo or Bourne moments. Obviously Anakin knew what Jedi were, so it wasn't a huge shock. Luke knew his dad was involved with Jedi. Rey thinks they are a myth so her reaction and growth should shock her a bit. She seems pretty shocked when the sabre ends up in her hand.

I do understand where you're coming from. I recently rewatched TFA and thought it held up pretty well... yet I am watching with my 6 yr old. So I'm seeing it through a child's eyes.

The difference is, I believe, that TPM establishes Anakin as 'the chosen one' (or at least a particular exceptional force sensitive kid) early on. Sure, it's hokey, but the audience get to see that insight into his abilities (primarily) through the eyes of Qui-Gon. It's not played as a mystery per se. The little kid has special abilities, ergo he's the one prophesied to bring balance. Same goes for Luke. It's established early on that he's the offspring of a fabled Jedi... and he's going to follow in his farthers footsteps. TFA is structured in a very different way, for me anyway... and I think that's reflective of shortfalls in its narrative, and the writing process behind it.


Post Posted: September 9th 2016 7:56 pm
 

Join: November 16th 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 260
It certainly seems lazy at times... I enjoyed it, but I could use a little more WTF from Rey.


Post Posted: September 10th 2016 7:56 am
 
User avatar

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Posts: 527
Location: Michigan
I am not making the same expectations link between TFA and R1, because the films are telling very different stories with very different characters. The only thing they have in common is that they're being released a year apart, which within the SW Universe, is irrelevant.

TFA actually holds up worse for me upon subsequent viewings. The lazy writing and blatant copying of ANH's narrative are too evident for me. It feels like the "most important" stuff was left unsaid or unaddressed. The quality of the acting and likability of the new characters are TFA's saving grace for me. I do hold out hope that Ep. 8 and 9 allow TFA to be strengthened by filling in some of those craters.

R1 has a simpler story to tell, and I have very high hopes for it.


Post Posted: September 10th 2016 1:39 pm
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 110
royalguard96 wrote:
I am not making the same expectations link between TFA and R1, because the films are telling very different stories with very different characters. The only thing they have in common is that they're being released a year apart, which within the SW Universe, is irrelevant.

TFA actually holds up worse for me upon subsequent viewings. The lazy writing and blatant copying of ANH's narrative are too evident for me. It feels like the "most important" stuff was left unsaid or unaddressed. The quality of the acting and likability of the new characters are TFA's saving grace for me. I do hold out hope that Ep. 8 and 9 allow TFA to be strengthened by filling in some of those craters.

R1 has a simpler story to tell, and I have very high hopes for it.

Pretty much my view of it...


Post Posted: September 20th 2016 10:59 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 3rd 2015 2:46 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Tomorrow-Morrow Land
I'm still excited for Rogue One.

I agree that it is a simpler story to tell.

I'm hoping they won't make Jyn as ridiculous as Rey.

Let others in the group do some things.

But I must say that I am disappointed that Ian isn't going to be in the film. A cameo of the emperor would have been nice to see.


Post Posted: September 29th 2016 9:13 pm
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1072
You can get a good look at a high-end toy version of Rogue One Vader here.

The costume looks like a cleaner version of the ANH suit.

Image


Post Posted: October 1st 2016 11:28 pm
 
User avatar

Join: May 2nd 2005 7:26 am
Posts: 1988
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Some new characters showed up in marketing...

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Post Posted: October 13th 2016 7:17 am
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3279
Here is the newest trailer. Looks really cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIO9LLjVF8w


:chewbacca:


Post Posted: October 13th 2016 11:38 am
 
User avatar

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Posts: 527
Location: Michigan
This is looking better and better. Emotion is playing a much bigger role in this trailer.

I wonder if the trailer music is from the film too. I gotta think the score is either done, or nearing completion by now.


Post Posted: October 13th 2016 7:56 pm
 
User avatar

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 1078
More enthusiastic about RO after this trailer. Not gonna lie.


Post Posted: October 13th 2016 9:28 pm
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1072
Same here. Visually, Disney nailed the OT ascetics. Also: Yay to chicken-walker action.


Post Posted: October 13th 2016 9:40 pm
 
User avatar

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 1078
I also can't lie about what got me into Star Wars. It was the OT. The PT galvanized my love of the Saga like nothing else but the OT was my entry.

Catching a glimpse of classic X-wings dogfighting in space for the briefest of moments spoke to my earliest childhood memories and joys. And yes, seeing a chicken walker in action once more.

Rogue One, I read you. :heavymetal:


Post Posted: October 15th 2016 11:58 pm
 

Join: October 6th 2004 6:01 pm
Posts: 234
Location: Los Angeles
Reading some of these retarded comments on here reminded me why I never or rarely visit this board.

Snobby, shitty attitudes. Jesus. "blu ray it?". LOL. Right. My ass.

This looks miles ahead of TFA. More retro vibes. And no, SW does not need to be only about Skywalker. This movie is interesting alone just because its not about Luke. Thus far, the story seems really well fleshed out. Someone was posting *SPOILER* that Jyn's father left a weakness on purpose. I like that idea and it would explain how something so massive could even have that weakness to begin with.

While I did not like TFA, I absolutely admire them for doing something outside the skywalker story. Def will watch on day 1. :) :chewbacca:


Post Posted: October 16th 2016 12:03 am
 
User avatar

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Posts: 2502
Location: Toronto, Canada
It's a fantastic trailer. Breathtaking cinematography.

From what I've seen it looks like I'm going to eat my words. I really hope the final product delivers.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
  Page Previous  1, 2



Jump to:  
cron




millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©