It is currently August 17th 2018 3:25 pm




 
Post Posted: April 8th 2018 8:06 pm
 
User avatar

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 1151
New official trailer! :o



New official poster! :cool:

Image

Still collecting my thoughts on it but I'm more thrilled than not. And I love that there's more than one Wookiee in our future. :chewbacca: :chewbacca:


Post Posted: April 8th 2018 8:26 pm
 

Join: October 15th 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 39
Location: Armchair, Attic
The_Somnambulist wrote:

New official poster!


Corellian Corvettes? Makes sense I guess.

And about the trailer... I'm not sure what to expect of this movie. No emotions so far; no familiar faces at all. Even Chewie is new. And who will have the surprise cameo (like Yoda in TLJ)? Jabba seems like an obvious choice. Vader? Emperor visiting Corellia?
I'm not saying "I have a bad feeling about this". I just don't feel the connection yet, like it did with previous SW movies. What a strange feeling :/ .


Post Posted: April 8th 2018 8:45 pm
 
User avatar

Join: December 1st 2004 9:42 pm
Posts: 428
Visually it continues to look interesting. Donald Glover looks like he's going to make a great Lando. I can't say the same about Alden as Han. I think they are hiding him a bit in the trailer b/c his performance is not great. Nothing about him is Han. I still don't get the point of this movie if you aren't going to find an actor who can portray the character.

I think the movie was doomed from the start. The kid is 28 - this isn't a young Han Solo. He's way too close in age to Han/Harrison in A New Hope - that was a terrible decision. Had they made him late teens / early 20s, I think there would've been more of a blank slate for the actor. But as it scripted and cast, we're seeing him as a fully developed adult. He should really resemble the man we see in ANH.


Post Posted: April 9th 2018 12:31 am
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 207
I have to say that the new trailer does nothing for me. From a cinematography perspective it almost looks like a TV movie. I mostly like the actors involved, but not feeling particularly excited about this. I think they missed an opportunity to do Han Solo versus Boba Fett or Han versus the Trandoshan hordes type thing.


Post Posted: April 9th 2018 5:40 am
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
I still have mixed feelings about this, and probably will until after I see it.
I'm really not crazy about the music on this trailer. It's like John Williams Lite.

Concerning the lead actor's age - The actor is 28, but the character could be a little younger. Not by much though. Either way, he'll be at least 8 - 10 years younger than ANH Solo.

Another observation - There are visual references to Blade Runner and Indiana Jones in this trailer. So is this story a look at younger Han Solo, or an homage to Harrison Ford? :|

Oh, and I still need to do naughty things to Emilia Clarke. :bunnys:


Post Posted: April 9th 2018 7:23 pm
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
https://entertainment.theonion.com/fans ... lMarketing

:lol:


Post Posted: April 11th 2018 4:26 am
 

Join: January 12th 2016 6:34 am
Posts: 64
Though it's not much difference, Alden turned 28 about a month after filming completed. He was 27 most, or the entirety of filming the movie. Harrison Ford was 33-34 while filming Star Wars in 1976. Most of this SOLO movie is said to be set 10 years before ANH. Han was listed to be 29 in ANH for years, but it seems that has been nullified according to Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo. He said that Han is not even sure of his exact age. I am assuming they are going with Han being early 30s in ANH and early 20s in SOLO. (Aside from some scenes that my show him in his late teens)

Remember. Felicity Jones was early 30s playing Jyn Erso in her early 20s. Luke was supposed to be 19 in ANH, while Hamill was 24 or 25.


Post Posted: April 11th 2018 5:28 am
 
User avatar

Join: December 3rd 2015 2:46 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Tomorrow-Morrow Land
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Woody Harrelson being in a Star Wars movie. :roll:


Post Posted: April 12th 2018 9:10 am
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
Well, Woody H was fine in a Planet of the Apes movie.

Imagine older fans (like me) when we heard that the black guy from the man crush tv movie Brian's Song and the Diana Ross sappy vehicle Mahogany was going to be in "Star Wars 2." :o


Post Posted: April 12th 2018 8:28 pm
 
User avatar

Title: Sith Lord
Join: October 10th 2014 11:38 pm
Posts: 199
Bandersnatch wrote:
Well, Woody H was fine in a Planet of the Apes movie.

Imagine older fans (like me) when we heard that the black guy from the man crush tv movie Brian's Song and the Diana Ross sappy vehicle Mahogany was going to be in "Star Wars 2." :o


Or when we found out in '97-'98 that Liam Neeson was going to play a "Venerable Jedi Master."

Like, who thought that Liam Neeson and Star Wars would go together?

I always saw him in the 90's as an action star and a period actor. (He did appear in a bunch of movies that take place in the Victorian era, mind you.)

Solo looks good, BTW, but it's not going to overtake Rogue One as the best Anthology film.


Post Posted: April 12th 2018 9:37 pm
 

Join: September 25th 2016 11:51 am
Posts: 61
Freezus wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:
Well, Woody H was fine in a Planet of the Apes movie.

Imagine older fans (like me) when we heard that the black guy from the man crush tv movie Brian's Song and the Diana Ross sappy vehicle Mahogany was going to be in "Star Wars 2." :o


Or when we found out in '97-'98 that Liam Neeson was going to play a "Venerable Jedi Master."

Like, who thought that Liam Neeson and Star Wars would go together?

I always saw him in the 90's as an action star and a period actor. (He did appear in a bunch of movies that take place in the Victorian era, mind you.)

Solo looks good, BTW, but it's not going to overtake Rogue One as the best Anthology film.


Well, at this point, I don't expect it to, but, Rogue One is the only good film out of Disney's Star Wars movies right now.


Post Posted: April 12th 2018 9:40 pm
 

Join: September 25th 2016 11:51 am
Posts: 61
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

#SoloAStarWarsStory runtime is finally officially revealed (2 hours and 15 minutes long): https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/04 ... tival.html


Post Posted: April 12th 2018 9:51 pm
 
User avatar

Title: Sith Lord
Join: October 10th 2014 11:38 pm
Posts: 199
RogueOne1216 wrote:

Well, at this point, I don't expect it to, but, Rogue One is the only good film out of Disney's Star Wars movies right now.


Yep If I was going to rank the Disney era films I'd rank them as follows:

Rogue One > TLJ > TFA

The only reason I would rank TFA that low is because it's almost a remake of ANH.


Post Posted: April 12th 2018 10:05 pm
 

Join: September 25th 2016 11:51 am
Posts: 61
Freezus wrote:
RogueOne1216 wrote:

Well, at this point, I don't expect it to, but, Rogue One is the only good film out of Disney's Star Wars movies right now.


Yep If I was going to rank the Disney era films I'd rank them as follows:

Rogue One > TLJ > TFA

The only reason I would rank TFA that low is because it's almost a remake of ANH.


Well, we'll see where Solo ranks soon enough.


Post Posted: April 15th 2018 9:04 am
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1126
New Character Images


Post Posted: April 18th 2018 5:45 pm
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1126
Interesting interview about the script and characters. For some reason, Jon calls his Dad Larry.



Post Posted: April 29th 2018 4:26 pm
 
User avatar

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Posts: 1126
Fun stuff:



Post Posted: May 5th 2018 1:04 am
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 207
I have to say that there’s a couple of things that make me think this film isn’t going to be great (as much as I want it to be)...
1) Why is the Falcon so clean? It’s like something from an Abrams Star Trek film. I’m not against clean ships per se, but why this need to deconstruct an iconic ship? The inference being is that Solo is so unclean, he takes a pristine ship and makes it look like he’s being doing a dirty protest in it by the time we get to ANH.
2) Why this constant need to misappropriate existing music/cues so badly? What has the main Star Wars theme have to do with Han Solo? Why play the Asteriod Chase cue in a scene other than to mimic an existing (probably better) one?


Post Posted: May 5th 2018 6:05 pm
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
Doctor When wrote:
1) Why is the Falcon so clean? It’s like something from an Abrams Star Trek film. I’m not against clean ships per se, but why this need to deconstruct an iconic ship? The inference being is that Solo is so unclean, he takes a pristine ship and makes it look like he’s being doing a dirty protest in it by the time we get to ANH.

Because it's newer in this movie that it was in the movies that take place after this story. Why would it look like a piece of junk when it was new?

Doctor When wrote:
2) Why this constant need to misappropriate existing music/cues so badly? What has the main Star Wars theme have to do with Han Solo? Why play the Asteriod Chase cue in a scene other than to mimic an existing (probably better) one?

I agree with you there. But again, these are cues being used for trailers and tv spots. We don't know if they will be in the movie.


Post Posted: May 5th 2018 6:18 pm
 

Join: November 16th 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 282
1) I think lando is just putting a pretty coat of paint on an old ship... i dont think its as "spiffy" as he makes it look
2) yep. silly


Post Posted: May 6th 2018 1:14 am
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 207
Bandersnatch wrote:
Doctor When wrote:
1) Why is the Falcon so clean? It’s like something from an Abrams Star Trek film. I’m not against clean ships per se, but why this need to deconstruct an iconic ship? The inference being is that Solo is so unclean, he takes a pristine ship and makes it look like he’s being doing a dirty protest in it by the time we get to ANH.


Because it's newer in this movie that it was in the movies that take place after this story. Why would it look like a piece of junk when it was new?

This film doesn’t take place that long before ANH does it? It would make Han Solo one of the dirtiest fuckers in the galaxy (which of course he may well be) to get the Falcon that beat up and grubby in just a few years... It was never really that pristine in the EU, but of course the EU is now dead, so I get they can do their own ‘thing’. And in this version of canon, of course they can establish that the ship is ‘new’ and pristine, but it is (IMO) reflective of Lucasfilm’s seeming desire to subvert expectations rather than building narrative coherence and organic character development.

Bandersnatch wrote:
Doctor When wrote:
2) Why this constant need to misappropriate existing music/cues so badly? What has the main Star Wars theme have to do with Han Solo? Why play the Asteriod Chase cue in a scene other than to mimic an existing (probably better) one?


I agree with you there. But again, these are cues being used for trailers and tv spots. We don't know if they will be in the movie.
I was more referring to the actual scene that’s been released in the Falcon’s cockpit. The musical cues are in the actual scene i.e. ‘The Asteroid Chase’ (from TESB) and the main Star Wars fanfare. Now this may be the only instance in the film, but it just seemed out of place and too on the nose. I’m not sure if they used anything similar in Rogue One (other than the Imperial March), but this stood out when I watched that Solo scene/clip.


Post Posted: May 8th 2018 6:36 am
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
I thought this was supposed to be 10 years before ANH. A lot can happen in that time, like accidentally jettisoning the cleaning lady with the cargo.

I just watched that scene for the first time. Yes, there is a reference to the ESB music, but there's also a new theme. The Star Wars main title theme doesn't seem out of place to me.


Post Posted: May 8th 2018 2:22 pm
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 207
I’m sure a lot can happen in 10 years, but that wasn’t really the point. My concern wasn’t about the ‘in universe’ reason why Han Solo would/should dirty up a pristine ship, but rather the seemingly misplaced focus (IMO) of writers wanting to subvert/deconstruct such things at the expense of story/character. We shall see how it plays out in the film. Regarding the cues... wether one welcomes the use of familiar themes is largely personal... but personally speaking, I find those particular cues to be somewhat incongruous.


Post Posted: May 8th 2018 3:44 pm
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
Maybe it's not at the expense of the story and the character, but rather to give us a glimpse of the back story of the character.

No matter what, I'll go into this with as objective a view as I can. These Star Wars Stories really feel like big elaborate and expensive sidebars to me. But I loved Rogue One, so maybe I'll dig this too.


Post Posted: May 8th 2018 4:06 pm
 
User avatar

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Posts: 1151
With Ron Howard at the helm, I have great confidence. It's rarely mentioned on here but the man is a notable and perhaps even legendary Lucasfilm alum.


Post Posted: May 8th 2018 11:48 pm
 

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
Posts: 207
Yup - I’m holding onto the fact that Howard generally delivers films I can enjoy, and has directing sensibilities that are somewhat more reflective of the originals. My reservation is that I was positive about Johnson prior to TLJ... and was burned with that one.

If Solo has a more similar structure to R1, as opposed to the sequels, then it has a fair chance...


Post Posted: May 25th 2018 10:27 pm
 
OBGYN
User avatar

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Posts: 3431
Or maybe the Millennium Falcon gets beaten all to shit during this movie. There's a concept we hadn't thought of before seeing this movie...


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 



Jump to:  




millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©