[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
millenniumfalcon.com • View topic - OUT DVD Reviews & Views
It is currently July 10th 2020 5:04 pm

Post Posted: September 3rd 2006 2:55 am

Join: October 6th 2004 8:26 pm
I've got 'em.

I watched part of the original Empire (which I haven't seen in years) and I'm still amazed by what LFL and ILM were technically able to achieve considering what they had to work with.

Anyway, the quality is pretty good considering what I was expecting. The video won't blow anybody's socks off and this is definitely a flawed master by modern standards. Blemishes pop up from time to time and, to me, small object detail is substantially less than new DVD-authoring techniques are capable of. That could be due to a non-anamorphic master being used. I also noticed a few minor instances of color smearing. The black level seemed kind of weak too.

One thing I think fans will universally like is the animated menu. Again, I've only seen the Empire menu but it ROCKED. It was an animated of the speeder/Imperial walker battle on Hoth. It was a brief "animatic" style animation, but I think it actually works better (in some ways) than the ridiculously extensive menus on the other discs.

In short, I think many of Zion's original points are going to be seen here.

Post Posted: September 3rd 2006 3:40 am

Join: January 23rd 2004 3:13 pm

Post Posted: September 3rd 2006 6:21 am

Join: July 2nd 2006 2:03 am

Post Posted: September 7th 2006 5:20 pm

Join: March 22nd 2005 11:53 pm

Post Posted: September 7th 2006 9:30 pm

Join: August 4th 2004 9:07 am

Post Posted: September 12th 2006 11:45 am

Join: April 25th 2005 3:56 pm

Post Posted: September 12th 2006 2:39 pm

Join: September 12th 2006 8:35 am

Post Posted: September 12th 2006 2:45 pm

darthpsychotic@gmail.com

Join: July 3rd 1971 6:59 pm

Post Posted: September 12th 2006 4:39 pm

Join: December 26th 2004 8:50 pm

Post Posted: September 13th 2006 12:50 am

Join: January 29th 2004 7:10 pm

Post Posted: September 13th 2006 5:18 am

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm

Post Posted: September 13th 2006 11:39 am

Join: October 6th 2004 8:26 pm

Post Posted: September 13th 2006 1:44 pm

Bush Pilot

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm

Post Posted: September 13th 2006 5:15 pm

Post Posted: September 13th 2006 5:22 pm

Post Posted: September 14th 2006 7:06 am

Join: February 12th 2005 12:02 am

Post Posted: September 14th 2006 7:13 am

Fat Bastard

Join: September 27th 2005 8:01 pm

Post Posted: September 14th 2006 11:34 am

Join: October 5th 2004 5:12 pm

Post Posted: September 14th 2006 5:32 pm

Post Posted: September 14th 2006 7:00 pm

Post Posted: September 15th 2006 8:45 am

Post Posted: September 15th 2006 10:25 am

Post Posted: September 15th 2006 4:43 pm

Join: August 16th 2005 6:52 am
Sounds like they did it on purpose allright, but why would they not want a Anamorphic transfer? Based on your experience, they could have done it very easily. Why go against the system that is now a standard on dvd?

Post Posted: September 15th 2006 5:31 pm

Post Posted: September 15th 2006 7:18 pm

Post Posted: September 16th 2006 1:35 am

Join: January 22nd 2004 10:02 pm
Just finished watching ANH or rather Star Wars and this is the most I've enjoyed watching it in quite a while. The quality is better than I expected, although I'm watching on a 27" tv, (still saving for a widescreen) so the imperfections probably weren't as apparent as they would be on a ws setup. I have a couple bootleg copies but never watched them much because the quality always hindered my enjoyment. This version is not perfect but it didn't interfere with my enjoyment, I got lost in the story again. Some scenes looked better than others, the outdoor Tatooine scenes seemed to me to be some of the more grainy areas.

I'm not an SE hater but like I mentioned in another thread, the color timing issues on the 04 set are what really prevent me from watching those versions. It was great to see this film again with the right colors, no annoying blue tint to everything or desaturated lasers and other oddities. Some little things I really enjoyed while watching this disc (excluding the obvious OT vs SE stuff) were:

-The 77 crawl. I had never seen it before except for the excerpt on the EoD doc so it was cool to see that and I think I may now prefer it to the EpIV ANH version.

-Starfields! It was great to see some nice bright starfields again even though they do blink in and out occasionally. It's a shame they've been so dimished in all later versions.

-This was a surprise, but Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon was actually fricken blue! Even the couple shot where it was white still had a hint of blue, it was just washed out. Even the sabers during the duel looked good to me, Vader's could just use some extra glow.

Post Posted: September 16th 2006 1:57 pm

Post Posted: September 16th 2006 3:51 pm

Fat Bastard

Join: September 27th 2005 8:01 pm

Post Posted: September 17th 2006 5:45 am

Join: February 12th 2005 12:02 am

Post Posted: September 17th 2006 11:51 am

Join: April 10th 2005 7:04 pm
"no annoying blue tint to everything or desaturated lasers and other oddities."

Not quite true, I think THX did retime the movie for the LD masters, there's still a little blue thing going on (look at the opening Tatooine matte painting) and I think they definetly look a little desaturated, but it's a hell of a lot closer to the film than the DVDs, and I think it's a global issue across the whole film uniformly, and therfore a pretty easy fix, rather than that fucked-up shot-by-shot random colour pallette crap LFL shoved onto the shelves in '04.

But, yeah, if you look at some of the fine detail like stars, and (what I never noticed before) the detail in the edges of impact flashes, particularly whenever the blockade runner takes a hit, it's stunning to see just how Lowry's algorithms chews up and averages out fine detail - there's stuff in this crappy old master tape that is just an amorphous blob on the 2004 transfers.

Post Posted: September 20th 2006 5:00 pm

Join: October 25th 2005 2:12 pm

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©