[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 555: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 440: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 440: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
millenniumfalcon.com • View topic - Disney execs in a panic over upcoming ‘Star Wars’ film
It is currently April 8th 2020 7:17 am

Page 1, 2  Next
Post Posted: May 30th 2016 10:51 pm

Join: December 3rd 2015 2:46 pm

Post Posted: May 30th 2016 11:26 pm

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
If true, don't surprise me none.

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 2:28 am

Join: April 6th 2016 7:53 pm

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 5:41 am

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
:what:

Isn’t testing well with whom, exactly?

If they were already showing a rough cut to anybody outside of the studio, we'd be hearing all about it, regardless of non-disclosure agreements.

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 11:33 am

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Part of me isn't surprised, if true. Edwards is not a great director and I'm sure there's a feeling of "been there done that" with the story.

That said, I'm sure it's salvageable and will end up turning out to be OK. Kennedy won't let this film hurt the good will built up from TFA. They'll bring in a ghost director if they need to.

Assuming this is all true, I hope they learn their lesson about putting too much faith in overhyped mediocre filmmakers. Whitta wasn't a strong choice, neither was Edwards and I can already see problems with Episode IX because of how shit Trevorrow is.

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 12:17 pm

Join: September 4th 2011 6:10 am
Nearly every movie made has reshoots to complete...this is nothing new.

Hell, even GL stated on the TPM commentary that the scene where Anakin enters the Pod Race garage on an Eopie, some shots were literally a year apart due to scheduled reshooting.

Click bait..."move along, move along"! :spray:

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 2:37 pm

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 6:43 pm

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 7:55 pm

Site Admin

Join: May 25th 1977 7:00 am
This reminds me of the time that every other movie that's ever been produced had to go back for reshoots :what:

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 8:36 pm

Bush Pilot

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm
This movie may look like a turd to me, but reshoots and re-editing are standard fare for big studio productions. Some people are alarmists.

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 9:31 pm

Don't forget the story that they brought in Oscar winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects/X2:X-Men United) to do a script polish.

That dude is a talent, but I guess it shows that there were already some issues.

Could Disney be upset because its too dark in tone? Isn't that want fans want?

I had little interest in the side films except the rumored Boba film.

But I really liked the teaser for Rogue One. I'm pretty excited for it now.

It could end up having even more Vader than we've expected.

That's never a bad thing. :chewbacca:

Post Posted: May 31st 2016 9:53 pm

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 5:24 am

OBGYN

"Page Six" is just a New York Post tabloid column. It's about as credible a source as my farts.

So they did actually break the young Han Solo casting news, but like 5 seconds before Entertainment Weekly did. :roll:

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 1:57 pm

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
I can't decide whether execs not being enthralled with an early screening means it's good or it's bad... I thought TFA was utter pants so perhaps exec anxiety is a positive thing... for me anyway...

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 2:26 pm

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 2:40 pm

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 3:11 pm

The Empire Strikes Back was rather 'angsty' and 'serious'... and I thought it was kind of good.

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 3:20 pm

Would ESB (my least favorite episode, believe it or not) enjoy the reputation it has if it'd been the first or only Star Wars episode released? I don't think so. ANH was the real clincher and ESB is only as delicious as it is through its dramatic contrast and build-off of what ANH was.

I will continuously balk at the idea of a Star Wars film that only male-y adult males enjoy.

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 3:50 pm

I think it would be a mistake to believe that more 'serious' material (or 'darker' tone) can't appeal to both younger and older audiences alike. Besides, the point is that this isn't the only Star Wars film. If something like The Force Awakens is deliberately made to appeal to the widest audience possible, then the anthology films should be allowed to be tonally different. If they try and homogenise everything to fit that TFA template, then I'd be surprised if the current SW can last beyond IX.

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 4:17 pm

I agree with your first point. But I see too many filmmakers today making serious and darker films that only appeal to 20-something neckbeards (Edwards' Godzilla is a prime example). As someone who knows quite a few young filmmakers, you get to know the type of creatives that are more interested in doing something cool for their in-crowd brethren than doing something exciting, fun and fresh that has universal appeal and aims for that "extraordinary" suggested in the article. Honestly and rather cruelly, I think it comes down to a basic social and psychological underdevelopment within the filmmaker.

And I think there's plenty of latitude in what the Original Saga has established. Look at how long Clone Wars and Rebels have stuck around and I think those successful and popular efforts have totally maintained the style and feel of the Star Wars cinematic canon. So I don't think we should worry about any homogenization. There's a lot to play with.

Post Posted: June 1st 2016 9:06 pm

I find it deeply and perversely ironic that in 2016, a massive corporation must tell a filmmaker how to make a successful Star Wars film.

Lucas must be laughing his ass off somewhere.

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 12:23 am

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 4:48 am

Join: September 2nd 2015 2:47 pm
I think most of us have expected that the greatest potential for the first Disney-LFL Star Wars film fumble would be with these spinoffs. I still like what I've seen so far.

I really don't think the prequels were masterworks. I like Rebels and The Clone Wars better, but sometimes I roll my eyes when Filoni (presumably) inserts verbatim quotes from the Saga films to make it "rhyme....like poetry." All of these movies have things wrong with them. My personal favorite is Jedi, and it has a ton of flaws, probably on the level of TPM (which isn't the worst prequel, IMO). However, I recognize that Empire is the best-written. Its plot is so character-driven: everyone has a reason for doing things other than "because the plot demands it," as seems to frequently happen in the other movies. Didn't George complain, after he viewed the final cut, that Empire was "too good"?

I just don't think Rogue One will be the worst Star Wars has had to offer, but we'll see. They could fumble. I hope the movie ends with a heated battle whose conclusion is the first victory the Rebels had over the Empire, as referenced in ANH's opening crawl. Should it end any other way?

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 5:17 am

Disney does deserve some credit. Rogue One LEGO sets leaked all over the place yesterday. Nice countermeasures to the "the movie's in trouble" reports from Tuesday.

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 12:37 pm

I certainly think the Star Wars films have their flaws (I'm talking Lucas')... but there's a cohesive narrative, emotional creativity and technological progression (for the most part) that sets them apart from their peers. I didn't think TFA had that, although it was an accessible, 'fun' film. The concern here is, IMO, that SW starts to occupy the space of 'just another dumb action movie'. But that's only my view of course, as I know many liked TFA.

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 4:59 pm

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 10:00 pm

Title:
Join: October 8th 2014 9:20 am

Post Posted: June 2nd 2016 10:30 pm

Site Admin

Post Posted: June 3rd 2016 12:30 am

40%? That seems excessive. I can't say I'm surprised though. I think TFA's box office was the nail in the coffin for any SW film that seemed a little dark, less accessible and 'indie'.

Post Posted: June 3rd 2016 3:24 am

Join: May 7th 2005 6:53 am

Post Posted: June 3rd 2016 7:03 am

OBGYN

Post Posted: June 3rd 2016 5:34 pm

Post Posted: June 4th 2016 3:45 pm

Post Posted: June 4th 2016 8:55 pm

Rogue One special guests? James Earl Jones? Temuera Morrison? Jimmy Smits? Anthony Daniels? Alden Ehrenreich? Peter Mayhew? Ray Park? Some dude in a Cad Bane costume?

Post Posted: June 7th 2016 10:16 am

Join: December 1st 2004 9:42 pm
I personally would welcome a darker standoff. I don't want it to have the same feel as the main nine films. It should be an opportunity to do something different within the Star Wars universe.

I'm not sure what to make of the initial panicky reports or the ensuing clarifications. Obviously pickups are normal, but 40% reshoot is not at all, and this is the second panicky report we've gotten about the film. I thought the teaser looked great, so I hope they don't make this more kid friendly. Mainly, I worry about any report suggesting that changes are being made to accommodate an exec's probably asinine feedback.

Post Posted: June 7th 2016 4:38 pm

Site Admin

The 40% reshoot report is complete horse shit.

If they are doing that then no way do we get a December 2016 release.

Post Posted: June 8th 2016 2:50 pm

It depends on what the reshoots consist of. If they are using existing sets, if they are not huge effects sequences involved, then sure... 30%-40% of reshoots is possible in that time.

Post Posted: June 9th 2016 2:41 am

Site Admin

In what universe is 40% of a Star Wars not heavy CGI..??

Reshoots havent even begun and the movie is only 6 months away so like I said its all BS.

Post Posted: June 9th 2016 6:20 am

Post Posted: June 9th 2016 11:12 am

OBGYN

And then take a look at this one: http://www.starwars.com/video/pickups-and-reshoots

Post Posted: June 9th 2016 11:50 am

Post Posted: June 9th 2016 4:04 pm

There is no way this movie ISN'T coming out in December. It would be far too costly to Disney and its licensing partners for it not to. The PR fallout from delaying the movie would be a killer, especially so early in its ownership of the franchise.

Post Posted: June 10th 2016 8:50 am

OBGYN

They could also mean "40% more action" or something like that. Perhaps the first rough cut was light on the shoot outs, chases, 'splosions and stuff.

Post Posted: June 10th 2016 7:15 pm

Post Posted: June 12th 2016 8:24 am

OBGYN

Post Posted: June 13th 2016 5:23 pm

Site Admin

Post Posted: June 13th 2016 6:07 pm

Agreed, SI.

Shouldn't the script pretty much show them what they are getting?

Personally, I liked Edwards' Godzilla and I am sad that he won't be directing the second film.

The point being that they had to know the kind of director they were getting when they hired him. It doesn't make much sense.

The only thing I can think of is that Disney wants to use the same "The Force Awakens formula" for all these films as it relates to amount of humor and overall tone.

Post Posted: June 13th 2016 7:56 pm

Probably some groupthink going on. No critical advisor. Happens everywhere.

Post Posted: June 14th 2016 12:24 am

I'm not sure of the exact timings re. when pre production and shooting commenced on R1, but I'd imagine the financial success of The Force Awakens coloured some studio exec expectations about the formula for 'success', and how that should be applied to R1. After The Force Awakens financial success, I'd imagine there would be quite a bit of pressure exerted by the studio to match (in some part) that formula. So it's no surprise to me that they'd be wanting to change things this deep into production.

Post Posted: June 23rd 2016 9:41 am

OBGYN

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

"...reshoots were scheduled for the film before even a single scene was shot. It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut."

Page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©