It is currently October 13th 2019 9:03 pm

Post Posted: September 23rd 2019 10:46 pm

Title: darthpsychotic@gmail.com
Join: July 3rd 1971 6:59 pm
images (@Dataracer)

ImageImage

• Early on, Kathy brought J.J. and Michael Arndt up to Northern California to meet with George at his ranch and talk about their ideas for the film. George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren’t using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations.

• The truth was, Kathy, J.J., Alan, and I had discussed the direction in which the saga should go, and we all agreed that it wasn’t what George had outlined. George knew we weren’t contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we’d follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded.

• At some point in the process, George told me that he had completed outlines for three new movies. He agreed to send us three copies of the outlines: one for me; one for Alan Braverman; and one for Alan Horn, who’d just been hired to run our studio. Alan Horn and I read George’s outlines and decided we needed to buy them, though we made clear in the purchase agreement that we would not be contractually obligated to adhere to the plot lines he’d laid out.

• He knew that I was going to stand firm on the question of creative control, but it wasn’t an easy thing for him to accept. And so he reluctantly agreed to be available to consult with us at our request. I promised that we would be open to his ideas (this was not a hard promise to make; of course we would be open to George Lucas’s ideas), but like the outlines, we would be under no obligation.

• I’d been so careful since our first conversation not to mislead him in any way, and I didn’t think I had now, but I could have handled it better. I should have prepared him for the meeting with J.J. and Michael and told him about our conversations, that we felt it was better to go in another direction. I could have talked through this with him and possibly avoided angering him by not surprising him. Now, in the first meeting with him about the future of Star Wars, George felt betrayed, and while this whole process would never have been easy for him, we’d gotten off to an unnecessarily rocky start.

• Just prior to the global release, Kathy screened The Force Awakens for George. He didn’t hide his disappointment. “There’s nothing new,” he said.

• In each of the films in the original trilogy, it was important to him to present new worlds, new stories, new characters, and new technologies. In this one, he said, “There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward.” He wasn’t wrong, but he also wasn’t appreciating the pressure we were under to give ardent fans a film that felt quintessentially Star Wars.

• We’d intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do. Looking back with the perspective of several years and a few more Star Wars films, I believe J.J. achieved the near-impossible, creating a perfect bridge between what had been and what was to come.

• Even though he had issues with the film, I thought it was important for George to be at the Force Awakens premiere. He didn’t want to come at first, but Kathy, with the help of George’s now-wife, Melody Hobson, convinced him it was the right thing to do. Among the last things we negotiated before the deal closed was a non-disparagement clause. I asked George to agree that he wouldn’t publicly criticize any of the Star Wars film we made. When I brought it up with him, he said, “I’m going to be a big shareholder of the Walt Disney Company. Why would I disparage you or anything you do? You have to trust me.” I took him at his word.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 9:34 am

Join: December 24th 2004 6:14 pm
Let's let Disney CEO (and arrogant scumbag) Bob Iger OFFICIALLY CONFIRM what all of us diehard Star Wars fans know deep in our hearts.

Disney did betray Lucas' vision. As documented by Iger, this is as concrete as it gets.

Unlike the host of Star Wars Theory, I have zero confidence that Star Wars can be saved, even with significant help from The Great One himself. The carefully calculated and DELIBERATE damage that was done to the mythos, the spirit, the HEART of the universe through such conniving releases as The Last Jedi, Solo, etc., etc., is just TOO LARGE. There is NO SAVING the franchise. It is literally not possible to undo the past. It is written in stone. I remember when Mark Hamill said that "...one can never go home again..." Mark, you couldn't be more wrong. Millions of fans were waiting to see you reunited with the original cast, a truly magical teaming of chemistry that is a very rare find in any medium, and they COULD HAVE gone that route. But in their "wisdom," THEY chose not to have it happen. Carrie, Harrison, Matthew, Anthony, Danny and yourself were FORBIDDEN to come home. To share even a brief scene together in the grimy storage holds of the pre-wombified pansexual Millennium Falcon, would've been emotionally overwhelming and DEEPLY FELT the world over. But that is NOT what they wanted. They had a POLITICAL AGENDA TO RAM DOWN OUR THROATS. And ram it they did!

Heartbreaking...

I feel the sorrow in this video, at what could've been, and what will NEVER BE.

SELFISH. ARROGANT. SUBTERFUGE.

Those three words are the new Star Wars. No denying it. And no taking it back.
Star Wars Theory's analysis of Iger's statements.

And while I do not agree with all of Geeks & Gamers' assessment of Iger's disclosures, I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment of Lucas' vision.
Geeks & Gamers' take on Iger's words.

I can't imagine what it must've been like for Lucas to have to contemplate day after day what Disney did to his creation.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 4:49 pm

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 6:20 pm

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
I agree with Obi-wan. However, Lucas' frustration is also my frustration. It's appears that Disney has wised up a little by "consulting" with Lucas on TROS and slowing their roll on future films.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 7:16 pm

Bush Pilot

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm
I would love to see Lucas' drafts that were optioned by Iger.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 8:23 pm

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Market forces vs. Lucas. Nothing new.

I have a feeling that the treatments may see the light of day given Lucas reportedly having thrown his hat into the ring for TROS. Not to mention a recent tide of fans newly appreciating what a rare gift Lucas' talent is and always has been.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 10:48 pm

Join: December 24th 2004 6:14 pm
From E_Chu_Ta:
Quote:
It's appears that Disney has wised up a little by "consulting" with Lucas on TROS and slowing their roll on future films.

Here's what I'll sadly guarantee...

Disney's executives will have learned NOTHING from this. Arrogance at THEIR level is, at a minimum, borderline-sociopathic, ala narcissism. And I'm not joking one bit about that.

They will continue to insert their "men are toxic/men are stupid/only women can save the universe (from men!)" brainwashing into everything they can. Oh, and they'll maximize sexual deviancy too. Look at pretty much everything Disney's released in the past 10+ years; their mass indoctrination goals are crystal clear. Marvel Cinema is already being transformed by Those That Know Better Than Everyone Else. It too will rightfully suffer the fate of Star Wars if it continues to go down the path it's already on.

One has to wonder, how many weeks' worth of effort did it take the Kasdan's to figure out a way to PERMANENTLY stain the Original Trilogy? I mean it. Had we been paid TOP DOLLAR to sit down and figure out a way to spread sexual deviancy throughout the Original Trilogy retroactively, there's no way in hell we could've done it. But the Kasdan's? Oh yes, they DID it, in SPADES. The most iconic spaceship design ever put to film is now a pansexual robot, having had hardcore sex with the master it's slaved to, dear ol' Pando-Lando.

THEY did that.

On PURPOSE.

UNREAL.

The whole "Don't give in to hate..." quote...

I know that you mean well, but you are telling it to the WRONG PERSON. You need to tell it to the deviant narcissists who mislead Lucas, absolutely positively TWISTED his universe to THEIR OWN SELFISH DESIRES, and they did it NOT GIVING A TINKER'S DAMN as to who they were DELIBERATELY HURTING in the process. Over and over again, they SMUGLY EMBRACED what they did, and GLOATED OVER IT, completely drunk on themselves.

There is only ONE reason why they're now consulting with Lucas: to resurrect the rotting goose that used to (seemingly) effortlessly lay eggs of solid gold. They are NOT bringing Lucas back for the RIGHT reasons, at all. It is SOLELY for THAT reason: to get the gold machine churning again.
Quote:
Lucas was RIGHTFULLY rewarded handsomely for his VISION of a galaxy united against evil.
Of men and women, IN SPITE OF THEIR DIFFERENCES, LEARNING FROM ONE ANOTHER and WORKING TOGETHER and BOTH PARTIES BEING ALL THE BETTER FOR IT. Disney engineered and schemed to DESTROY a message that is beyond reproach.
Quote:
The wealth he generated was due to having a PROPER TARGET, one that was well worth hitting, and it stirred the hearts of men and women everywhere.
It didn't fracture people; it brought them together, in hope and joy.

As your butts drop into the theater seats this December, remember that Lucas was brought back as a desperate measure to get The Money Machine back on track. Disney does not give one actual whit for Lucas' heart. He is strictly a means to an end.

And it'll still never undo the grave harm set loose in The Last Jedi and Solo and its ilk.

The Millennium Falcon will henceforth forever be a sex crazed pansexual robot, literally every male character is a blathering and drooling idiot unworthy of even being in the sight of goddess-women who need no training at all, and there is absolutely nothing that you nor the once almighty Lucas can ever do to erase that harm.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 10:53 pm

Bush Pilot

Join: March 23rd 2005 3:46 pm
Great stuff, DP. I appreciate Iger being candid about these events. George's mindset at the time helps explain the 'white slavers' remark shortly after The Force Awakens released.

Post Posted: September 24th 2019 11:33 pm

This thread has just gotten more sexier.
I abused my administrator powers to take control of the topic along with re-authoring the main post with screenshots and text. Furthermore, even though Kyle posted in the right forum, the topic was moved to IX for more visibility. Now to pirate Iger's book here publicly.

Regarding the book's content it should have been the clear at the time the only person powerful enough to make Lucas walk back the white slaver comments was Iger. Iger also appears to be not self aware for just for publishing his behaviour in book.
I only enjoy Disney Star Wars because I consider Disney Star Wars to be Expanded Universe e.g. separate from Lucas Star Wars.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 1:55 am

Title: A Living Force
Join: October 10th 2014 11:38 pm
darthpsychotic wrote:
This thread has just gotten more sexier.
I abused my administrator powers to take control of the topic along with re-authoring the main post with screenshots and text. Furthermore, even though Kyle posted in the right forum, the topic was moved to IX for more visibility. Now to pirate Iger's book here publicly.

Regarding the book's content it should have been the clear at the time the only person powerful enough to make Lucas walk back the white slaver comments was Iger. Iger also appears to be not self aware for just for publishing his behaviour in book.
I only enjoy Disney Star Wars because I consider Disney Star Wars to be Expanded Universe e.g. separate from Lucas Star Wars.

Yep. That is what I keep saying to Kyle - Don't like Disney Star Wars? Cool, sell the Disney stuff, Keep the Lucas stuff. Lucas Star Wars will always be there for us, Episodes 1-6. Lucas' story started with Episode 1 and ended with Episode 6. That was the intention that Lucas wanted when he completed Revenge of the Sith. After Rise of the Skywalker, I'm likely going to sell my Disney Era Star Wars Blu-Rays with the exception of Rogue One - that one Lucas endorsed so much, it received a twin billing for a limited theatrical run of the UNALTERED 1977 version of A New Hope. From what I understand - Disney is contractually bound to NOT touch Lucas Star Wars (Ep 1-6) in any way. They can't alter these films. They can't release a "Disney cut" of these films. To make any further alterations to these films or issue any ORIGINAL unaltered versions of OT, they MUST go through George Lucas. No buts, no ifs, no whats. They have to go through Lucas to be able to do anything with these films so be glad Disney isn't touching these six films.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 6:15 am

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Topeka wrote:
I would love to see Lucas' drafts that were optioned by Iger.

Same here. I hope there will be something like the old "Star Wars Annotated Screenplays" book, which would outline what the early concepts were for 7, 8 & 9.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 6:42 am

Join: February 18th 2017 11:23 pm
If and when LucasFilm and Disney figure out a way to bring George's version of the sequel trilogy to the public for a profit without damaging profit from their current canon, one has to believe they will. Be it books, movies, a release on Disney+.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 9:19 am

homergreg, if that was to happen, it would likely be in the form of a comic book series a la Star Wars: Adventures of Starkiller. Lucas had these made and they were based on Lucas’ early concepts and scripts for what is now Star Wars: A New Hope. It worked because it exists outside the current Lucas/Disney canons. So maybe Lucas’ Sequel outlines could get the same treatment?

If these outlines or scripts were to become movies, first Disney would have to disown the current sequel trilogy outright and start over from scratch. They’d have to recast everyone involved. And they’d have to title all three films as STAR WARS EPISODES 7–9 with the titles with the official numbering emphasized to make clear that the Abrams trilogy is not the official trilogy. They’d have to make that clear with heavy marketing efforts. I don’t think Disney would invest a lot of money and time just to make a new trilogy and replace the shitty trilogy they made with it. Plus it would open Disney up to a lot of lawsuits and I don’t think they want to deal with that.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 1:09 pm

Freezus, I would never imagine any kind of reboot around that stuff. More thinking low budget "alternate reality" shows or films to make profit from it. Much like what you mention with the Starkiller comics, just via a video medium. I don't ever see then putting their canon around the whills.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 3:49 pm

homergreg wrote:
Freezus, I would never imagine any kind of reboot around that stuff. More thinking low budget "alternate reality" shows or films to make profit from it. Much like what you mention with the Starkiller comics, just via a video medium. I don't ever see then putting their canon around the whills.

If they even get these scripts made into a TV/streaming series, why not call it - "Star Wars: Multiverses" in which some filmmakers get to tell their own versions of certain events throughout the franchise and Lucas could direct the first three premiere episodes of said new show om Disney+ and they could be at least 2 hours each or 1 hour each then he could edit them together to form a new "trilogy" when they're released on blu-ray/DVD. I mean, he did edit together that Clone Wars cartoon and turned it into a movie. Just thinking out loud that's all.

Post Posted: September 25th 2019 5:24 pm

homergreg wrote:

Freezus wrote:
If they even get these scripts made into a TV/streaming series, why not call it - "Star Wars: Multiverses" in which some filmmakers get to tell their own versions of certain events throughout the franchise and Lucas could direct the first three premiere episodes of said new show om Disney+ and they could be at least 2 hours each or 1 hour each then he could edit them together to form a new "trilogy" when they're released on blu-ray/DVD. I mean, he did edit together that Clone Wars cartoon and turned it into a movie. Just thinking out loud that's all.

That actually sounds pretty darned good to me!

Post Posted: October 7th 2019 7:58 pm

darthpsychotic wrote:
Now to pirate Iger's book here publicly.

Here you go.
Embedded below is entire "Chapter 11: Star Wars by Bob Iger" in image format:

UPDATE :filez:

• Chapter 11 (JPEG): Chapter 11 - Star Wars by Bob Iger (2019) (MillenniumFalcon-DP).zip
• Entire Book (.PDF): The Ride Of A Lifetime - Bob Iger (2019) (MillenniumFalcon-DP).pdf

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

https://imgur.com/a/0sAkqJZ

Post Posted: October 7th 2019 8:11 pm

Iger: a common trait of a bamboozler and liar- "Wine and dine" the victim. Make them believe anything then do the opposite. Iger reads to me like he's some crooked car salesman who will do anything to get anything they want.

Post Posted: October 7th 2019 9:49 pm

Join: April 26th 2005 11:20 am
Thanks for posting, d-psyc!

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©