It is currently April 20th 2018 11:12 am

Post Posted: February 26th 2018 10:16 pm

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
Both episodes are up on the Disney XD site.

Malcolm McDowell, Mortis, insidious Palpatine machinations, voice-over fun, and a plot twist that involves a new wrinkle in SW mythology. Lovely.

Unlike Ezra, Anakin would have ...

... saved Kanan (as evidenced by his willful turn to the Dark Side in the final Mortis episode, and, obviously, ROTS). Would Force ghost Anakin undo everything in the PT and OT if he found the "World Between Worlds?" Would Force ghost Luke?

Is Ezra wrong and the white wolf a manifestation of Ahsoka's will instead of Kanan's? I'm not so sure that Filoni's prior tweet refutes this idea as it only indicates that the wolf is not literally Ahoska. Ezra asked Ahsoka to find him later and the white wolf seems to answer that request. (Of course, I'm assuming that Ahoska perishes between the end of Season 2 and this episode.)

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 3:07 am

Join: January 22nd 2004 10:02 pm
Wow, these were two terrific, captivating episodes! I was totally entranced while watching them. Good stuff!

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 4:31 am

Join: January 31st 2005 11:58 pm
Same here! Absolutely edge of your seat, type stuff. Everything was so well done. The last four episodes have been top notch.
The storytelling, visuals voice acting and music came together perfectly. Ian McDiarmid and Malcolm McDowell were so unbelievably great. I need a valium...or a beer now!

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 9:53 am

Join: April 3rd 2011 5:29 am
I am so psyched by these episodes! I have always suspected that Ezra (or Somebody) would somehow snag the folks from Rogue One and they would become the Knights of Ren. This is how he could do just that!

But come on, Filoni. Either DO SOMETHING with Ahsoka, or let her die. This is like the third or fourth "walk into the sunset" she has done. Sheesh!

But wow. What a fantastic way to broaden the entire Star Wars story. I always thought Mortis was an odd move, but now I see it as a way of unifying ... dare I say BRIDGERing the various times and characters and creating a world beyond death in which our favorite characters may continue to have adventures.

Great storytelling. And great design. I love the World Between Worlds' space sidewalks and the ripples where they walk, and the portals to different moments in time. Brilliant! It's like they are running around in a giant orrery or armillary. I want one!

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 10:39 am

Recon confirms!

Wow. Yes! WBW is totally a place to bring all of SW together! Filoni so rocks! I sure do hope they let him be the showrunner for the Live Action.

So, will we see WBW in VIX? Rey could find her parents for sure! :bouncin: :bouncin:

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 11:05 am

Title: MeMyself&I
Join: October 13th 2014 7:15 pm
Great episodes!

Filoni does it again.

I still believe Ashoka's role will be to tell Luke and Leia the story of what their parents were truly like before Anakin's fall - a story that was off limits since the old canon - It's becoming clear why.

You'll see her again in Star Wars: Resistance to tell the story.

I would not be surprised to see her pass away in that series and the parting image will be her walking towards Anakin's Force-Ghost instead of away from him like in CW and in a standoff position in Rebels.

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 11:25 am

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
That was incredible. Joel Aron is an unsung hero of this and TCW for his lighting expertise.

Ezra's Force walk had a lot of Interstellar aspects to it. Opens up a whole new avenue of storytelling possibilities.

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 4:19 pm

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
I just watched all 4 episodes. Really fucking amazing.

Oh, and Ezra is Snoke.

:cathead:

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 5:44 pm

Join: October 12th 2004 9:34 pm
Amazing stuff. Really hope Filoni gets to do more stuff in the universe.

Post Posted: February 27th 2018 6:00 pm

Join: December 24th 2015 5:26 am
That was really good stuff. Loved it...

Post Posted: February 28th 2018 10:02 pm

The Revanchist

Join: June 28th 2003 7:00 pm
It was a good episode, but I am a little bit wary of having Star Wars' "backwards time-travel" cherry popped, so to speak. We've always had forward time-travel with no-gobacksies, (carbonite freezing, Morne, and relativistic speed shenanigans) and from a narrative standpoint that works the best. I'm not really thrilled with there now existing an apparatus for backwards time travel, either. They're not going to just leave this deus-ex-machina that can 'control the universe' forgotten in the Lothal desert. Now Disney has a nice little reset button they can use whenever they want, right there in-universe.

Post Posted: March 1st 2018 12:22 pm

Lord Tuvitor wrote:
It was a good episode, but I am a little bit wary of having Star Wars' "backwards time-travel" cherry popped, so to speak. We've always had forward time-travel with no-gobacksies, (carbonite freezing, Morne, and relativistic speed shenanigans) and from a narrative standpoint that works the best. I'm not really thrilled with there now existing an apparatus for backwards time travel, either. They're not going to just leave this deus-ex-machina that can 'control the universe' forgotten in the Lothal desert. Now Disney has a nice little reset button they can use whenever they want, right there in-universe.

I’d agree with that... but I thought it more a potential device for telling stories further in the past rather than, for example, pulling Darth Revan into a post Old Republic/Galactic Empire universe.

Post Posted: March 2nd 2018 7:33 am

OBGYN

Join: August 25th 2004 12:31 pm
Is it literally "time travel" though? Or is it more along the lines of "Through the Force things you will see... other places... the future... the past... old friends long gone..." :?

Post Posted: March 2nd 2018 10:27 am

Join: January 4th 2009 3:49 am
From what I recall of the description given to Yoda in the Season Six arc where he spoke with Qui-Gon,Qui-Gon said for those who are one with the force time does not act or feel like it does for those in the living universe as Yoda was.

Qui-Gon also mentions how all the moments are happening at once for him rather than in a linear fashion.

So this portal to the Force is perhaps a place where those who are one with the force inhabit or can access but is not meant to be used for the purpose of altering events (?)

Post Posted: March 3rd 2018 7:39 am

Join: April 25th 2010 4:21 pm
yeah the thing is made pretty clear that:
-accessing it is pretty exceptional and doesn't really depend on the force user's power, Sidious didn't manage to get in, and our 2 -moreorless-Jedi were chosen because mostly they found themselves in a place where they could serve a purpose bigger than them
-It seems inside it they are driven by their focus or what's relate to them, Ezra got the special chance to save Ahsoka but also because he was helped by the bird/daughter... and season 2 showed us it had already happened, as time is described as having this simultaneity nature.... and we are shown that Ahsoka couldn't just get out of it and establish a pony farm on Lothal, there is a cost... it's heavily implied she got saved because the force (and lkey the daughter manifestation) has some greater purpose for her than be just killed by Vader.... also, when her escape of being stabbed doesn't directly change anything in the given situation, where it is made clear if Kanan was pulled, then not the meaning of his sacrifice would be hurt, but also it sounds like their ship would have simply been reached by the fire...
-and then of course such a thing is illusive and can disappear in a minute, there must be other portals like that but it doesn't make it less rare

I think from that incomplete messy collection of observations it can be said that if they left a new door open for storytelling, they clearly restricted how it can be used for it not to transform SW into back to the future

Post Posted: March 3rd 2018 9:57 am

Join: October 31st 2003 7:00 am
Bandersnatch wrote:
Is it literally "time travel" though? Or is it more along the lines of "Through the Force things you will see... other places... the future... the past... old friends long gone..." :?

DING DING DING!

Post Posted: March 3rd 2018 2:25 pm

Join: December 19th 2015 8:06 am
royalguard96 wrote:
Bandersnatch wrote:

DING DING DING!

“Reach through a doorway and stop Anakin from killing Mace Windu you will....”

Post Posted: March 4th 2018 7:23 am

Um, I take it back. These portals seem to be ONLY in temples. But what about Kanan's death as seen in the portal? That was Sidious doing an illusion from a temple, exactly the same as in the Yoda Clone Wars arc. Sidious was in the same portal where Kanan was seen. Notice the symbol above that portal represents the Dark Side / The Son from Mortis. Palps was in a Sith temple (under the palace?) trying to trick Ezra into coming too close to the portal and helping Sidious to get IN. Ezra says "He is getting in" ... not, "I am being pulled out."
Sooo... since Erso, et al, were not in a temple, sith or jedi, when they presumably died, then this temple-access only scenario would not facilitate their rescue as I had imagined.
Sorta glad this it Temple-based access. A portal that leads to ANYwhere ANY time would truly be too messy. But this sorta contains the power and puts some conditions on how it works: only in certain temples.

Post Posted: March 4th 2018 10:41 pm

Doctor When wrote:

So if Disney is to blame for the faults of the ST, shouldn't they also be given the credit for Rebels' strong storytelling?

Post Posted: March 5th 2018 8:35 am

CoGro. You are SO RIGHT! We were talking about that this weekend. How on earth can we get such awesome animated stories and such drek on the big screen?
Is it because TV gives you much more time to tell a story?
Less cooks in the kitchen?
Less pressure to create something so basic that the entire world will want to watch?
How can the same story group be doing both with such different results?

Maybe they just need to let Filoni direct the films. But I guess they are keeping him busy with ... what exactly? Star Wars: Resistance?

Post Posted: March 5th 2018 10:01 am

The point is that the folks at Disney aren't the ones responsible for content here: it's the people at Lucasfilm.

So, if you didn't like TFA or TLJ or RO, blame Lawrie Kasdan, JJ Abrams, Michael Arndt, Tony Gilroy, Gareth Edwards, Gary Whitta, Rian Johnson, Carrie Beck, Kiri Hart, Pablo Hidalgo, Kathy Kennedy...hell, even blame George Lucas since his fingerprints are apparently all over the story of the ST. He's even the reason a Han Solo movie exists.

Good content comes from good creatives, and clearly Disney/Kathy isn't diluting or polluting what the show runners at Rebels are putting out. What Dave Filoni is doing creatively is striking a chord with the Star Wars fanbase and even though the show doesn't exactly light up the network, Disney let Lucasfilm make the series they wanted and end it on their terms.

This silly narrative that the mouse is somehow responsible for this new Disney-fied version of Star Wars is tired. If you want to blame Disney for anything, blame them for the awful one-sheets they insist on putting out for all of their films.

For the record, I would be all-for a Filoni-led story group, and if Kathy is smart she should give him the job. I think it's clear that he should be the Kevin Feige of the Star Wars universe. Let Kathy be the executive producer and business head, but she isn't the creative engine here. I have never been a big believer in storytelling by committee since creative vision isn't really a democratic process. Not to mention the folks who are part of the story group today aren't really storytellers: they're Star Wars encyclopedias. Kiri Hart had done nothing but work in bit roles at LFL before becoming head of story, same for Carrie Beck and Pablo was the guy who answered fan questions submitted to Star Wars Insider for hell's sake.

Post Posted: March 5th 2018 12:15 pm

CoGro wrote:
Doctor When wrote:

So if Disney is to blame for the faults of the ST, shouldn't they also be given the credit for Rebels' strong storytelling?

Sure. Plaudits to Disney for Rebels... but the new films are still awful in my opinion. I’m much more bothered about liking the films than I am a cartoon, comic, game or other. It’s a shame that, again in my opinion, Rebels channels more of what makes Star Wars ‘Star Wars’ than the new films. A shame for me, and many others it seems. Wether the blame should lie with Disney, Kennedy or the individual filmmaker is largely determined by 1) whether one thinks the new films are poor. 2) what aspects of the films one considers to be sub par. I’m long enough in the tooth, and pragmatic enough, to understand that there are many talented people involved in the making of these films, so consequently I tend to see the root cause of failure not in the ‘creatives’ per se, but in the underlying model of production line that seems to favour a release date over development. Even some of the more enthusiastic fans seem to agree that the sequels don’t appear that joined up, thematically/narratively, to the previous films... let alone themselves...

On a separate note... I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to Filoni re. TCW/Rebels, and without doubt he seems to have a much deeper and richer understanding of Star Wars, and the underlying philosophy behind it (creatively and conceptually), than anyone else involved. I think he’d make a great live action film.

Post Posted: March 5th 2018 10:27 pm

Join: August 4th 2004 8:00 pm
CoGro wrote:
I have never been a big believer in storytelling by committee since creative vision isn't really a democratic process. Not to mention the folks who are part of the story group today aren't really storytellers: they're Star Wars encyclopedias. Kiri Hart had done nothing but work in bit roles at LFL before becoming head of story, same for Carrie Beck and Pablo was the guy who answered fan questions submitted to Star Wars Insider for hell's sake.

It's doesn't seem like the films are "by committee." The TFA was driven by Abrams and Kasdan. TLJ was all Johnson. And, Rogue One was Edward's until Gilory was asked to step-in

It seems that the story group is only there to give background, point-out continuity issues (if any), and generally, provide feedback on some story ideas. It's really up to the the auteurs of the specific films to do their own thing. That is, until Kennedy senses that the project is going off the rails.

It does appear that Lucas' suggestions to Disney are being followed more closely than it initially appeared. But, it's up to the individual filmmakers to flesh-out his ideas and add to the quality of SW mythology. So, if you have specific problems - you should probably blame the filmmaker.

To varying degrees, I have issues with all three Disney films. But, I respect Kennedy's decision to give almost free reign to the movie's directors. Regardless of the end result, that's how it should be.

Jump to:  

millenniumfalcon.com©
phpBB©