I tried to enjoy Mandalorian.
I really, REALLY
First, what was truly great:
- Special effects
- Also, the fact that they didn't label every planet we saw with its name
- Setting up IG ("I'm not '88'") as a great character with long lasting comedy relief, and then totally wasting him. He was very agreeable throughout his onscreen time. No effort was made to negotiate with him on this one point.
- Not explaining how even though they were employed by the same guild, IG had the directive to kill baby Yoda while our hero was given it as an option.
- Having the Mandalorian behave as the cool and ultimate Sergio Leone bounty hunter, then frequently having him do things that no rookie would EVER do. Indeed, such foolishness would've ended his life long ago.
- Did we *have to* have The Standard giant Star Wars creature make an appearance in this? That could've waited. Every trope except a lit lightsaber was already present.
- Some of the acting was pretty bad. Awful even.
- Most of the melee fights were terrible. Making John Wayne's notorious mega-telegraphing punches look like Fight Club in comparison. I'm guessing that wearing all of that latex and being blinded by one's mask makes it very hard to execute convincing melee. On a TV budget, they can't afford to do endless reshoots to make it look convincing.
- Have the hero's face covered all of the time... Does it work? It's one of The COOLEST helmets ever designed. Keeping it on him while he blunders about? Very VERY jarring at times.
- Why can't he land his spaceship far closer to his area of operations? It's not a Mandalorian ship, so its arrival won't alarm anyone. If he's walking and riding dozens of miles from where he parks his ship so that he stays "anonymous" and "stealthy," well... He's WEARING MANDALORIAN ARMOR and BRANDISHING MANDALORIAN WEAPONRY as he confidently sways!!!! If that's not a major red flag to his targets, what can be...?!
- Should've gone either with a totally rookie Mandalorian having to find out the hard way what it takes to be an amazing Mandalorian warrior (ala "Mandalorian: Year One), or just gone all out with a Spaghetti Western era ultra "Clint Eastwood Level" professional. This waffling between the two is beyond immersion breaking.
- Much more. But Real Life beckons to do far better things.
Nice try Disney Wars. The fan boys out there, enormously desperate to grasp onto ANYTHING better than the films have finally found a lifepreserver to clutch onto. Good thing for them, anything IS better than the films.
...baby Yoda will (try to) be fed to the recovering Emperor that Anakin didn't kill.
...Anakin's/Luke's saber will make an appearance.
Oh, and nothing will ever undo what's been done. Luke was gleefully tossed to the rancid trash heap of Wokeness, and that's what he'll forever be stained by.
And Lando? He'll forever be boffing the Falcon's power converters. Do you think that he'll be tonguing it when they destroy it in IX?